Sunday, July 11, 2010

You're Beautiful (Series, 16 ep)

Ok. I will not put off posting on this blog. I promise. In honor of that promise, my very first post will be today. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Today.

Also, while this is a long series, it will only be in one post. I refuse to go back ep by ep, since I already finished it. I'll try to make it short.

 So, I recently finished watching the korean drama "You're Beautiful". It was recommended to me by a friend (Thanks, Larxy!) and supported by the ADORABLE piggy-rabbit plush her friend made for our table at PCC.

Anyway, the basic plot is just like every other drama, with the additions of a nun and an idol group.

The nun, Go Mi Nyu (played by Park Shin Hye), or Gemma, as her fellow nuns call her is shanghai-ed by her twin brother, Go Mi Nam's, manager to crossdress and pretend to be him while he has corrective plastic surgery in the states. Of course, she falls for the main guy, the "Leader" of the idol group, Hwang Tae Kyung (layed by Jang Geun Suk). And of course, the other guys, Jeremy and Kang Shin Woo, fall for her. Unlike other dramas, the only one that doesn't know she's a girl is poor Jeremy, who didn't have a chance to begin with.

To make a long story short, Mi Nyu falls for Tae Kyung, while Shin Woo falls for Mi Nyu, and of course doesn't say anything until he realizes she likes Tae Kyung and Tae Kyung likes her back, even if he doesn't know it.

Normally, I would find that kind of plot over-used and obnoxious. But whoever wrote and directed this actually did it right. There was suspense, and a lot of drama. Tae Kyung, Shin Woo, and Jeremy were not your typical perfect pretty boys. Shin Woo actually stuck up for himself in the end, and didn't just step back and let his love walk all over him. He actually did something about it. And Tae Kyung wasn't all nice and perfect. He had a bad attitude to the very end that made you want to punch him in the ballsack. All of the drama he caused made the end just so much more satisfying. They (meaning Mi Nyu and Tae Kyung) didn't completly get together until, literally, the last five minutes of the last episode.

I will admit, all the drama and bullshit actually made me cry. Like, flat out cry. Multiple times. I never do that. I haven't since I was like...five or something. I think it was mostly out of frustration about what a stupid ass Tae Kyung was, and how sorry I felt for Shin Woo. But nonetheless, I cried. Which to you should mean that this was a good drama. The characters were loveable, and Jang Geun Suk was even more of a (loveable and cute, I mean seriously, have you seen him smile?) creep than he was in Itaewon Homicide. I give this drama five stars. Go watch it. Now.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for a drama where the poor, loveable, side character guy with good intentions actually gets the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment