Sunday, July 11, 2010

Attack on the Pin-Up Boys (Movie)

OMG, another? I'm on a roll today!

So today I watched Attack of the Pin-Up boys, which I will, from now on, refer to as the SuJu movie. In case you don't know who Suju is (which I doubt, if you're reading this blog), it is short for Super Junior, the 13 member, too large for it's own good, generally obnoxious Korean idol boy band group. I will say right now, that I am not a fan of Suju. Yes, they have a few good songs (2, to be precise), but overall I think there are too many of them. They confuse me. Although, I will admit, some are very attractive.

Anyway, back to the movie. It stars all members of Suju, except Kyuhyun because he got in a car accident. Basic premise is that someone is attacking the pretty "Flower Boys" of various high schools by throwing what I will only describe as a horrible bag of gross at them as they walk home from school. In the dark, of course. The movie opens after the first three victims, Yesung the rocker boy (this made me happy, btw. I will admit he is my favorite), Han Geng the basketball star, and Sungmin the pretty boy have been attacked. Kibum, the narrator and studious boy detective, has made it his prerogative to find out who the next victim will be.

It ends up coming down to three people. Hee-Chul, the arrogant, breakdancing prince, Si-Won, the stuco president who seems to have magical powers (which include, but are not limited to, a genius IQ, shooting lightning out of his hands, and levitating books), and Kang In, the defunct tae kwon do champion. And naturally it becomes a competition. In their version of Korea, it seems that getting hit by a horrible bag of gross makes you more popular and leads to things like record deals and modelling contracts and light eminating from oneself.

After Kibum announces on his blog who he thinks will be next, Hee-Chul and Kang In proceed compete. Si-Won seemingly takes the high road and pretends not to care. Which, like the cake, is a flat out lie, as he eventually fakes getting hit by a horrible bag of gross. Surprise, surprise, but none of them actually get hit. It ends up being Dong Hae, Kibum's best friend, after said best friend finds out the attacker is actually Kibum playing pranks on people he hates.

And of course there was a dance number in the credits with way too many people. We mustn't forget that this is the Suju movie.

Overall, I'd say the movie was generally entertaining and sometimes funny. It was definately made for the Suju fan age group. There were parts that made me laugh and parts that made me never want to admit to have watched it. I guess I'd recommend it if you have a really immature sense of humour. If you enjoyed movies like Hot Tub Time Machine, Napoleon Dynamite, and other such "gems", you will probably like this movie. I give it three stars, for the few lulz it gave me.



And if you were wondering, my favorite character is totally the Panda mascot (played by Ryeowook and Leeteuk). Dude was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment